It is thought that this name is of Danish origin - Kaerer
being a Swedish surname, and a Ley a forest clearing thus
Kaerer's Ley, now known as Keresley. This
would probably have been after the year 1066 when the famous
Domesday Book , a survey of England, was made since no record
of the village exists.
was an agricultural village now known as Keresley
Green. It lies to the North of Hall Brook and is the oldest
of the three villages. Bordered by the countryside it still maintains
its rural atmosphere.
to the South is bounded by the Tamworth Road. Established in the 17th
century the oldest building is probably Akon House on Sandpits Lane. The
church not being completed until 1847. Weaving was the main occupation.
Green fields remain to the North of the village, the remaining borders
having merged with adjacent Coventry suburbs.
to the North, was only developed in the early 20th century when mining
commenced in 1911. Today the mine has closed and the mining site redeveloped
as industrial warehousing. Like Keresley Green it maintains a tranquil